Sabbath


On the Washington coast

Today is the first time in a very long time I have observed Sabbath as I think it was intended. We enjoyed the quiet stillness of a Sunday at our campsite. Nothing pressing to divert our attention, and we appreciated every minute of it. We chose to simply exist and be grateful for two days spent in the same beautiful place. For someone to whom "true rest" does not come easily this was a realization of the hurry that characterizes my day-to-day. 

Bay Center WA

Our legs, willpower, and probably your prayers have taken us about 130 miles; roughly 70 of those miles in the rain. We've soldiered on despite many nerve-racking moments, "unseasonably" bad weather, wet tents, sore joints, and busy roads. We've encountered unprecedented kindness from perfect strangers at every stop. Their generosity ranges all the way from lending a stamp, to gifts of food, fire kindling, places to dry out our supplies, and seemingly endless dog treats. People are really amazing. Mary lifts our spirits with warm meals and hot tea to end our days, and together we decide to get back on the bikes again the next morning. 

Setting out from Hoquaim

Today, however, was a day of rest. This crew is on course to have a crazy and memorable adventure out here on the coast. We're finally getting into our rhythm of camp life and each of us has settled into our place in this delightful trio. I found myself close to joyful tears at multiple points during our last ride. I cannot overstate my gratitude for the people who support these wild ideas and dreams. Whether those people are family, friend, or perfect stranger, they have given me confidence when I wasn't sure I had much left. 



Comments