That Nurse

I've been the nurse who asked you to repeat your birthdate 6 times. I've been the nurse who missed your IV twice. I've been the nurse who forgot to ask the doctor if you could have water, even though I said I would. I've been the nurse who talked down to you when I ran out of patience. I've been the nurse who assumed you were on meth when you had a genetic condition making you look that way.  I've been the nurse who never asked if your pain was any better. I've been the nurse who forgot that warm blanket. I've been the nurse you called a "bitch" because I forgot to hide the annoyance in my voice. I've been the nurse who gave your medication the wrong way. I've been that nurse.

That nurse who ignored your call-light because I was psyching myself up to ask the rude doctor a question. The nurse who didn't let you come back to see your family yet because I didn't want a crowd in the room. I've been the nurse who failed to re-check your blood sugar for three hours while I was in MRI with someone having a stroke. I've been the nurse laughing with my friends at the nurse's station while your pain remains a 10/10.

I'm the nurse who made sure the blood was cleaned off your mom's body before you said your last goodbye. I'm the nurse who cut your clothes off and put cardiac monitors on your chest after your asthma attack turned into respiratory arrest. I'm the nurse who helped you clean the bed-bugs out of your hair. I'm the nurse who made sure your grandma couldn't fall out of bed. I'm the nurse who used a bear-hugger to dry out your shoes before you returned to the street.

I've been the bad nurse, the mean nurse, the forgetful nurse, occasionally, I've been the damn good nurse. I'm not proud of all the faces I've worn for all of the patients I've had, but I'm proud of what I'm capable of. I've been many types of nurse, but I've never been the one who played cards.

Comments